SIGMA master's degree takes two years to complete. However, students with a sufficient academic level can be admitted directly to the second year of studies (This requires having completed 240 ECTS prior to your admission.). If you are interested in joining SIGMA program, you can contact us with a short CV and a letter of intention.


  • M1 : The candidate should have an academic license degree, which means having studied 3 years at university level or having validated an equivalent of 180ECTS in the fields of applied mathematics, applied physics, computer science, or electronic systems.
  • M2 : The candidate should already possess an M1 level, which means having studied 4 years at university level or having validated an equivalent of 240ECTS in the field of applied mathematics, applied physics, computer science, or electronic systems. In addition, the candidate should sufficiently master English as a foreign language (CEFR (B2), TOEFL (IBT 87-109), IELTS (5.5-6.5), TOEIC (785-945) or equivalent)

Interested candidates can contact the program directors at any moment. However, the official online application opens early February. The admission results are sent to the candidate within a delay of two months after having fully and duly completed the application form.

Whereas the SIGMA degree is delivered by Grenoble Institute of Technology and Grenoble-Alpes University, SIGMA students are managed directly by PHELMA, the organizing engineering school and member of Grenoble Institute of Technology (Grenoble-INP). Therefore, admissions and inscriptions are administratively taken care of by PHELMA

The admission procedure varies according to the candidate's nationality and/or country of residence.

Applying to PHELMA

All students regardless of their nationality or country of residence should apply to SIGMA via the PHELMA admission portal (FSA). It is open between early February and end of June (attention, non-European* applicants should submit their application before end of may). The precise date are clearly shown on the application portal every scholar year.

Apply to PHELMA

More details

* The European Economic Area (EEA) countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

Applying to Campus France

Non-European nationals living in one of the in one of the CEF* procedure countries need to apply to Campus France of your residence country to obtain a student VISA. The application of Campus France is independent from PHELMA application. It is recommended to start it as early as possible. Contact the closest Campus France center for informations about the application dates.

Apply to Campus France

More details

* The countries with a Center for studies in France (CEF) are: Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ivory Coast, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Peru, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, the USA, Vietnam

The cost of an academic year is €12,000 which is almost entirely covered directly by the French ministry of higher education and research. French and European students required to pay €243 registration fees. Meanwhile, Non-European enrolling for the first time in a university program are required to pay €3770 , excluding the compulsory health insurance fees. However, these registration fees can be waived partially or totally upon decision of the admission panel based on social criteria. Candidates can request an exemption in their application.

The registration fee is further reduced to €159 if the student is enrolled in the same institution to prepare multiple diplomas

More about the cost of life in Grenoble is covered in student life section

Student and campus life contribution (CVEC)

As of the 2018-2019 academic year, you must obtain your payment certificate of the student and campus life contribution (CVEC), by paying €90 or by being exempted before enrolling in your higher education institution.

CVEC certificates are delivered online from You need to setup an account on the dedicated French student services portal

Health insurance

Starting from the 2018-2019 academic year, students enrolling for the first time in a higher education institution do not change their mandatory health insurance scheme. Those who are already registered with a student health insurance company keep it for the academic year 2018-2019. In either case, the annual affiliation procedure is no longer necessary and the membership fees are abolished.

Health insurance scheme depends on the student's nationality

  • French : Students who enroll for the first time in a higher education institution do not change their compulsory health insurance scheme (general scheme, MSA, etc.). Those who are already registered with a student complimentary insurance company keep it for the academic year 2018-2019, without fees. The student social security scheme will disappear completely on August 31, 2019.
  • The European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss nationals : Students should be normally enrolled to a health insurance scheme in their home country. If they are working during their studies, they are covered by the French universal health insurance (PUMa)
  • Other nationalities : All non-European or Swiss students profit from the universal health insurance (PUMa) without the application of the 3-month waiting period.

For further information about the French universal health insurance, please visit French health insurance website

Several financial aids are available for students of Grenoble Institute of Technology (Grenoble-INP) and Grenoble-Alpes universities base on academic merit. Some scholarships are reserved for foreign students and other are reserved for students from partner institutes.

« Initiative d’excellence » Master Scholarship

The « Initiative d’excellence » (IDEX in short) Université Grenoble Alpes is offering scholarships for students enrolling in a master program in one of the university programs. The amount of the scholarship is 8,000 euros per academic year.

More Details

Persyval-lab Master Scholarship

The laboratory of excellence Persyval-Lab offers elite students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. program a scholarship of €8,000 during their second year of Master's degree. Up to 10 scholarships are allocated each year.

More Details

Grenoble Institute of Technology Foundation

Institute of Technology (Grenoble-INP) foundation offers foreign students with excellent academic records a scholarship worth €5,000. The candidate should be aged under 28 years and apply to an international master program associated with Grenoble-INP.

More Details

Grenoble-Alpes University Foundation

the Grenoble-Alpes University foundation also offers outstanding foreign students enrolled in the second year of a master's degree (M2) and motivated to pursue a PhD program a scholarship of €10,000 paid in twice and conditioned by academic performance.

More Details

Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region

The Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region offers several scholarships for foreign students following studies in one of the region's universities. The application to these scholarships should be initiated by Grenoble-INP.

More Details

More offers on Campus France

Campus France offers help for foreign students to find funding sources.

More Details

Non-European students are required to have a student VISA before arriving to France. More information about the VISA procedure is available at France VISA or Campus France sites.